Thursday, February 9, 2012

Progesterone Testing?


Breeding dogs is never a simple task. My mother has always been in charge of the actual breedings, but now I’m determined to learn so that one day I can take over. In the past, we have always done natural breedings without progesterone tests. But now as I learn, I’m learning the benefits to progesterone testing and AI.

Progesterone testing is especially important for stud dog management. Because all heat cycles are different, I think it’s always best to do a progesterone test before a female is sent to the male. It can give you a better idea of when the optimal day of breeding will be. Once the progesterone number reaches 5, it takes 48 hours for the eggs to ripen.

As someone who manages a stud dog, I will now require all females have at least one progesterone test before they come to my male. It just saves a lot of time for both the bitch owner and us. I know there are a lot of people that do not do any progesterone testing, and in fact some are against it completely. However, we all live busy lives and very few people have the option of taking a week off to travel to a stud dog and wait for a breeding to take place before they go home. Progesterone testing just makes the process much easier and exact!

Here are a few pictures of some past litters. Hope you enjoy! We are looking forward to future litters!

Gracie x Drew Litter

Gracie x Cloud Litter

Gracie x Vegas Litter

What are your thoughts on progesterone testing?

No comments:

Post a Comment